In addition to braces, other appliances may be used during orthodontic treatment, including:
- Rapid Palatal Expander – This special appliance widens the roof of the mouth, allowing room for crowded teeth to grow naturally and/or expands the upper jaw to more closely fit the lower jaw.
- Functional Appliance – A “removable” retainer worn to redirect jaw growth.
- Lingual Arch – Fits on the inside of the lower teeth, from molar to molar, as a space maintainer.
- Herbst Appliance – A fixed functional appliance available in a variety of designs to achieve multifunctional treatment goals such as expansion, space opening or closure or high angle open bite intrusion.
- Headgear – Typically worn to move the upper molars back or hojd the upper jaw back, slowing its growth, while the lower jaw is free to grow forward.
- Face Mask – Used when the upper jaw and/or teeth need to be brought forward.
- Twin Block Appliance – Appliance used to correct some overbites.